Sunday, October 11, 2009

Tuscan Travels

One might think that blogging is easy to do.... I object! There are just so many things to say and so little time when one is busy wanderlusting through the Tuscan countryside. Life is just so hard these days! Don't hate me, but here are some photos from my recent travels around Italy.

Pistoia & Livorno by moto with my friend Riccardo.





Riccardo lives in Pistoia and I met him in Los Angeles about a year ago when he was working in LA. He still travels to LA frequently for work, but fortunately for me he's a native Italian and knows his way around Tuscany and took me to the sea...

 

Some pics as we walked through Pistoia. I really liked it here, it was like Rome on a much smaller scale and sans all the ancient Roman stuff. It had lots of piazzas connected by little alleyways with cafe tables spilling into the walkway. Don't ask me what's up with the statue of the three men, I forget and I am okay with that. Oh, and I skipped the churches here... I mean how many churches does a person see in Italy? I think I am finished with the church scene. Sorry mom.


Moving on to Livorno, also known as "the Santa Monica of Tuscany" so says Riccardo. Judging by these homes, I think that would be an accurate assessment. The motorcycle ride to Livorno through Tuscany was probably one of the best experiences (outside of visiting with family) that I have had to date in Italy. It was easily the most beautiful day ever. The only thing better than the ride, was the homemade lasagna Riccardo's mom made for lunch which was ready and waiting when we arrived at his parent's home in Livorno.




At this point, I would like to share two critical life decisions made while in Livorno: I am going to buy a cool Vespa the minute I get back to LA, and like this couple above, I plan on shamelessly make out in public from now on. I love Italy.

Where else have I been?  Well, I was also in Siena and the Chianti region two weekends ago, drinking wine and relaxing in the countryside. Additionally, I ate some wild boar for the first time which was amazing. I am salivating just thinking about it. Here are some pictures of Siena:

Il Campo and flags from the winning team of Il Palio, a horse race held every year in the Campo. Each horse represents one of the 17 neighborhoods (contrade) of Siena.







 So, here's the cool random note on Siena. The relic of the Sacred Head of Saint Catherine of Siena (patron saint of the city) has been preserved in the Basilica since 1383. It's a bit shrivled and grey, but it's totally a head.... see, I did make it into another church!Can you see it?


Also while in Siena, I met this guy who I am convinced looks exactly like cousin Frank Costa -- is it just me or does anyone out there agree??? 




 Speaking of the Costas.... here's a shout out to everyone of you... lots of representing in Siena!





So, where does everyone think I should go next?